State sponsorship

Applying for state sponsorship is one of the easier tasks in the process of skilled independent visa subclass 190.  Most of the work has been done ahead of time and its largely form filling. On a difficulty level, this is an easy one and scores 4 out of 10. There aren’t many places you can mess up, just be aware of the pitfalls of making multiple applications. It can take up to 12 weeks to get a decision. With a state like Victoria, applying for sponsorship is free.

Difficulty level



Process of obtaining state sponsorship

If you’re on this site looking for information, then the chances are you need a sponsoring state in order to process your application for points-based skilled migration to Australia.

There are a number of reasons why you may need sponsorship, but the main two are:

  1. Your occupation is not on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) but is on the Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL)
  2. Your occupation is on the SOL but you don’t have enough points to qualify for an idependent 189 visa and need the extra 5 points to get you over the minimum points threshold.

What ever your reason, we’re in the same boat and need to find a State to sponsor our applications.  In order to apply for state sponsorship, you’ll need to complete your Expression of Interest (EOI).  There are exceptions to this rule, the state of Victoria for example allows you to apply directly to them without having completed an EOI.  I did this as Victoria was the only state sponsoring my application.  In order to complete your EOI you HAVE to have done your English test (if you are claiming points or language proficiency or need the test to meet state minimum eligibility requirements) and will also need to have completed your skills assessment.  The actual visa application when you are invited to apply also requires extensive documentation and considering you only have 60 days to apply from the time you are invited, you need to make sure you have all these documents in hand.  If for example you have lost your marriage certificate and need a replacement (I’ve been here before), then you need to make sure you apply for this ahead of time so you have it in hand by the time it comes time to lodge your visa application.

This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are nominated by a state or territory government agency.
It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident

To get a state to sponsor you, you’ll need to complete your EOI. During this process you’ll be about to nominate a state or states to sponsor you. The individual states pick up your details from Skills Select, the online portal where you submit your EOI. Each state will have its own criteria and requirements for both eligibility and the process of applying. I’ll relate my experiences of applying to Victoria.

With Victorina you do not need to have submitted your EOI when seeking sponsorship. They have their own online system for sponsorship. The requirements for sponsorship are often higher than for independent visa 189 – for example in my application Victoria required a minimum number of years of relevant work experience as well as experience in particular aspects of my occupation. The process of applying was however really simple. All they required was a detailed CV, my skills assessment certificate, and my English language test certificate as supporting documentation. Then it was simply filling out an application form. The application form had 12 parts to it. the first was personal details (name, DOB etc). Part 2 related to the occupation I was seeking sponsorship for. Part 3 was details of any other states that I had applied to (this is important and I’ll come back to it). Part 4 is contact information, part 5 is only if you are using an agent and its the agents details. Part 6 is for details of your spouse and part 7 for personal details of dependants that will be accompanying you. Part 8 is for the details of your skills assessment and English test, part 9 is for details of your education. Part is for details of your finances (there are minimum financial reserves – although these are never vetted, at least not with Victoria). Section 11 is about your connections to Victoria and you need to list friends and family living in Victoria as well as elsewhere in Australia. Finally, section 12 is where you upload your supporting documents – CV, skills assessment and english test. You’ll also have to complete a commitment declaration in which you commit to living within Victoria for a minimum of two years.

I mentioned earlier about applying to multiple states. This is a bit of a risk and reward thing – you can apply to multiple states and hope that you get invites from more than one state giving you some options moving forward. The risk however is that some states frown on this and may reject your application outright. If you put yourself in their shoes you can see why. You are already demonstrating a lack of commitment to the state by indicating that you are considering other states already. Victoria will contact you and ask you to withdraw all other applications before they even start processing your application. They’ll also most likely ask you for commitment letters. If you do not withdraw your other applications, they will most likely reject your application. Its important to bear in mind that with a state like Victoria, you can only apply once every 6 months so if they reject your application you’ll have to wait 6 months before you can resubmit.